Thursday, February 19, 2009

Update! Sorry it's been a while...

¡Hola!

Sorry it's been a while... To be honest, I haven't been updating this regularly because I feel like I hit some sort of plateau about a week ago. Not a lot of new things are happening because I have fallen into a routine of waking up, going to school, taking a nap, doing homework, going on walks, etc. Going out and exploring the city hasn't really been on my list of things to do yet because I don't really know where any thing is yet, or what buildings are what. (I think my English is getting worse, by the way). But I suppose this monotony is sort of a sign that I am actually...living here.

Last week, I finally met a few Argentinians who are friends with one of my classmates. They are really friendly and have a lot of patience for us English speakers. We're hoping they'll be able to show us around town more.

As some of you may have heard by now, last weekend was my first night out on the town.(For all of you who aren't aware, night life in Argentina is completely different from Lincoln. Here, people start going out AT 1:00 AM, which is when all of the bars and clubs CLOSE in Lincoln). I had a lot of fun! We went in a group of about 15 people who were all from my roomates' school. One of the girls' host brothers was sort of our "guide" for the night, who chose where to go. We went to a small bar first and then hit up a "boliche" (dance club). It was...interesting...to say the least. It was very busy (reminding me of a crowded concert or something of the sort), there were flashing lights, strobe lights, lazers, smoke, etc. I was taken by surprise a little bit when I saw such a large number of VERY affectionate homosexual couples standing around, dancing, etc. I found out later that the club was actually a gay/straight club. Apparently it has the best music! My host mom/brother thought this was rather funny, as it was my first time going out.

But in all seriousness, I have been learning a lot in my class. Although it is all sort of review, it is definitely fine-tuning the things I still didn't understand or needed work on. Altogether I'm glad I'm taking the class. I sort of feel that along with my plateau of events, my language ability has plateaued (I just butchered that word and am too lazy to look it up) as well. Now that I have become accustomed to the language I understand it so regularly that it doesn't really feel like my Spanish is getting better. Plus, all of my friends right now are Americans, and we tend to speak English more than we should. Some days I almost feel like it has gotten worse. Or else I am just realizing I have quite a long ways to go before I am fluent.

This is all I have for now. I wanted to tell you all about the things I have grown to appreciate about the United States, but I will save that for another post, because it's time for me to go to bed! Stay tuned!

Love you all. Thanks for reading.

P.S
I think I fixed my settings so that anyone can comment on my blog now. So...post away!

5 comments:

  1. Hey! It's Mike.

    Sounds like Argentinians are my kind of people. I never really get going until 1 am, if you know what I mean. Hey. I want you to know something. I just watched Lion King. yesh.

    Also, I know what you mean with Spaanish... it's like it just makes you feel worse the more words you realize you don't know!! Keep your head in the game Skelsey...

    ReplyDelete
  2. ew that's creepy. but i'm guessing you're lance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kelsey! It's the Girls' Night Out Terrific Trio. We are enjoying sipping on some chilled wine, and decided to check your blog. Grandma says: Thanks for your special message--good to hear from you. I had to learn how to post on your blog. Take care--talk to you soon. Sue says: Went to new place tonight--wanted to order steak with condoms, but they said they were fresh out. Mom says: It was 62 yesterday, and 19 today--enjoy what you have! Adios for now...love you!!

    ReplyDelete